The origin of my name

>> Thursday, March 26, 2009

Han Suyin (韩素英/韩素音): a many-splendoured woman has many splendoured name

At the province of Henan, China, a splendoured woman Han Suyin(not her born name) was bornon the 12th day of September(Mid Autum festival, 中秋节). Her mother, Marguerite Denis, a Flemish Belgian (reminds me of belgian chocolate..lol)who tried every way, even pregnancy to marry a Chinese engineering student, Zhou Yintong. Her father actually name her "YueBin" which mean guest from the moon.

According to Professor Liao Liandi’s article “Han Suyin is My Teacher”, he writes: “according to Han Suyin, Suyin means a low and unadorned voice.”(1) I don’t believe a person like Han Suyin who is so passionate and strong-minded will take “low and unadorned voice" as the meaning of her pen name. So I discussed this with her daughter, Tang Yungmei, who told me that according to Han Suyin stands for “the clear voice of the Han people.” The reason she chose the surname "Han" it's because many claim that the Hakka are actually 'Han" people(韩人).

Han Suyin is a Hakka(客家) which does not denote a racial group, for the Hakkas are Han People, Chinese People. Hakka was a word applied to all displaced peasants, and only after the tenth century came to design a special group. Moving en masse these refugees from misery were 'people who sought a roof, hence called Guest People(客人)' which was more courteous than calling them displaced persons or refugees...”



My name - Irena Chua Su-Yin (蔡素英)

My mom got my name from this wonderful author of many great books that has inspired many people. My mom is from Kuching S'wak and is a Hakka. But my dad is a Heng Hua (兴华)a type of hokkian. So, I might not be as slpendour as Han Suyin but i believe my name has the meaning of simple(素) heroin(英) or simple and brave.

素- simple, plain, clear
-(英雄)hero(female --> heroin), brave

and Irena? Irena, a russian name. It means peace..

Irena Chua Su-Yin means a peaceful, simple heroin of the chua? or is it peaceful, simple and brave chua?
haha


ref:

  • http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/hansuyin.htm
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Suyin
  • en.wiktionary.org/wiki/
  • http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/
  • http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Irena
  • *1. “Hakka People” by Liao Liandi vol.2 1995
some of Han Suyin's famous writing

  • A Many-Splendoured Thing (1952)
  • And the Rain My Drink (1956)
  • The Crippled Tree (1965)
  • A Mortal Flower (1966)
  • Birdless Summer (1968)
  • My House Has Two Doors (1980)

0 comments: