Skills, What money cannot buy...

>> Friday, February 12, 2010

Soft skills "people skills," -- are personal attributes that enhance an individual's interactions, job performance and career prospects. (click to see attributes of soft skills)

Hard skills -- specific, teachable abilities that may be required in a given context, such as a job or university application. (if u've click on the link for soft skills, im sure u're kepoh enuf to click on this one too..=) )

How many points have u collected for soft skills? I have zero. I'm not planning to gain any soft skills points through the UTAR way bcz i think it is kinda useless. Useless in the sense that everyone is trying to buy soft skills at such a great price but actually it is zero value for cost. Zero it's because when you can't even remember the knowledge for that semester, how would you remember anything that is one off? Soft skills cannot be learn through 9 hours lecture classes like hard skills. Those are the skills which must be encounter with. Namanya soft skills, so those attributes are not teachable by listening to some expert telling u what to do at any situation. See?? It say people skills, meaning you've got to deal with many many people to be equipped with the right soft skills.

Many people were deceived, by our officer with very good soft skills, about how those points can broaden our way to a high income job. Do you think that your future managers are blind or deaf? They can see what, weather you are capable or not. It's like a dog trying to disguise as man, when he tries to talk, all that we can hear were "woofs". You are not fooling anyone but yourselves.

All that effort about trying to gain soft skills are undoubtly usefull provided it is put into practice. So if you claim that you've master all the category in our soft skill programs, then how cone I don't see any difference in you? So many students sign up for the soft skill classes, but there is no shift in culture paradigm. Everything remain almost the same. Yeah, maybe cafeteria has turn out to be abit noisier.

Action speaks louder than words though!

I'm not attacking anyone here. Please stop thinking that i'm posting to target a certain individual. Dun be so perasan ok? I know one. U all always think i'm trying to cucuk you. I don't do that, If I wanna give a piece of private advice, I'll just throw it at your face. More effective ma.

Since all of u abit blur, my main point is,

Stop climbing the ladder which is on the wrong building and, after that, regret that you're at the wrong peak when u get to the top.

3 comments:

Anonymous February 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

I agree that it is a skill that cannot be bought. It has to be practiced. However, I believe it's still important for UTAR to have soft skill talks. I have been through the talks myself. It's true, I didn't acquire any special skills by going to the talk. But what I gained was the exposure. The speakers who conduct the talks are experienced business people and they know how the real world works. The most valuable things I got from the talks are their advice. They have worked long enough to tell us what are the things not necessary to do, what to avoid and what to focus on when we start work. They also warn us about things like how companies take advantage of Junior employees to do unethical things and stuff like that. Plus, it is much more expensive to get them to give talks outside UTAR. In UTAR is only like RM80. I've been to 2 talks so far and I thought it was worth the money.

But it also depends on the speaker. If the speaker didn't prepare well for the talk, all you get is disappointment.

Unknown February 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

me too zero for me, if I'm year 2 I will reconsider to take one or two but now sorry, commitments here and there don't spare me much time for self-enrichment.

Nigel Foong February 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM  

I agree Daniel's opinion. Actually, the first programme that I joined, the speaker is really good and I did learn things. Not totally 100% but it has change one of my perception in my life.